Nine miles east of Kingston, historic Hillsboro was founded in 1877 when two prospectors discovered gold on the east side of the Black Range mountains. The town’s name was drawn out of a hat. Hillsboro grew rapidly despite fierce attacks by the Apaches. A post office opened in 1879 and never closed, and Hillsboro was the county seat from 1884 until 1939. The remains of the old county courthouse, built in 1892, still stand. It was here that the famous trial of the three alleged killers of Col. Albert J. Fountain took place. While they were acquitted for the 1896 murder, the mysterious crime was never solved.
Hillsboro today is home to restaurants, galleries and gift shops, a museum, a gas station and grocery, and a post office. The recently renovated Hillsboro Community Center has a new tennis court, and hosts musical events at least once a month. This handsome historic adobe building is an inviting venue, and has attracted quality bands from across the country. Visit. www.HillsboroNM.com. for more information.